A coupon program for Renvela® (sevelamer carbonate) may help patients save money on prescription copays.
Patients eligible for the Low-Income Subsidy (Extra Help) may have copays of $7 or less.1
Low-Income Subsidy (Extra Help) patients may receive a 90-day prescription for the same cost as a 30-day prescription.
Uninsured patients in the Medicare 90-day waiting period may receive Renvela® (sevelamer carbonate) at no cost for up to 90 days.
Commercial prescription insurance patients may save time and money by ordering their prescriptions by mail.
Effective immediately, the out of pocket prescription spend requirement for the 2012 Renvela® (sevelamer carbonate) Medicare Part D Assistance program has been reduced from $1,000 to $500.
Renvela® (sevelamer carbonate) and Renagel® (sevelamer hydrochloride) are indicated for the control of serum phosphorus in patients
with chronic kidney disease (CKD) on dialysis.
- Sevelamer is contraindicated in patients with bowel obstruction.
- Caution should be exercised in patients with dysphagia, swallowing disorders, and severe gastrointestinal (GI) motility disorders, including severe constipation or major GI tract surgery.
- Common adverse events reported with sevelamer include vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, flatulence, and constipation. Other events reported include pruritus, rash, fecal impaction and, less commonly, ileus, bowel obstruction, and bowel perforation.
- Uncommon cases of difficulty swallowing the Renagel (sevelamer hydrochloride) or Renvela® (sevelamer carbonate) tablet have been reported. Caution should be exercised in these patients and consideration given to using Renvela® (sevelamer carbonate) suspension in patients with a history of difficulty swallowing.
- Drug-drug interactions may occur with some medications and should be taken into consideration when instructing patients how to take sevelamer.
- Serum bicarbonate and chloride levels should be monitored.
- Follow patients for reduced vitamins D, E, and K (coagulation parameters) and folic acid levels.
- Patients should be informed to take sevelamer with meals and to adhere to their prescribed diets.
1. Sanofi U.S. LLC.